Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different

Steve Jobs: The Man Who Thought Different
by Karen Blumenthal
320 pages
High School

This is a YALSA Best of the Best 2013 Challenge book!

Steve Jobs created Apple, thought up the iPod, and changed the way computer companies run.  His name in known throughout the world, but how much does the world really know about him?

Did you know that he became a vegetarian, even to the point that his diet was carrot salad with lemon juice? Did you know that although brilliant, he was not universally liked.  While a great motivator, he was also very difficult to get along with.  Jobs had something that others called a "reality distortion field": whenever he was around, people believed they could achieve anything!

Follow Jobs life from childhood until his death in this in depth glimpse of his life.  From founding Apple, to being fired from it, this book covers all of it!

So, this was a lot more intriguing than I thought it would turn out to be.  Once I got into it, I had a lot of fun reading it.  But, it is not something that I think I would read again (unless for a specific reason, like a report).  I had fun with it, but there are other things I would rather read.

Overall, pretty good book.  I will recommend it to teens, especially those that come in looking for a biography for an assignment.  Had lots of tech stuff, so techie geeks would probably like it a lot!  It does have a little language (or at least implied language), plus Jobs is not necessarily the best role model. I would stick to high school aged teens for this, because of the maturity of the content, plus although Jobs did some amazing things, his life was seriously messed up at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment